Online classes are an opportunity to explore our personal objects and surroundings, but also to explore long term projects.
The classes are a great way to focus the mind in these unusual times.
It also encourages many of the students to complete their works after the lesson and to draw more on their own.
What will you learn?
- We will work mainly from observation with a wide range of subjects: still life, interior, outdoors, and the human body.
- We will also work from secondary sources such as photos and artworks and develop personal response to them.
- You will learn the use of line, tone, colour, mark making and composition, but also understand the meanings a work can present.
- We will use a variety of techniques and develop a fluid and dynamic approach that will promote confidence in your work.
- You will learn through individual tuition, group critique, group discussions, by seeing other students’ work and by inspirational works of art.
- The courses are a platform :
Meet people with shared interest
Learn about various artists
Expand your mind and be engaged in a meditative activity, (some students even call it their therapy session...).
How do online art lessons work?
We will be meeting on Zoom and you will draw from observation of your surroundings, from photos, art works, and from sketches.
At the beginning of the lessons we will be having a short talk about the focus for that session followed by drawing, many times accompanied by showing artists' work.
During the lesson you will show me your work and we will discuss it together.
At the end of the session we will be looking at each other's works and have a group discussion and critique.
Finally, I will explain what we will be doing the following session.
During drawing and painting time you will be on 'mute' and I will be putting music to unify us all. You will be able to 'un-mute' yourself when you want to speak with me.
Recommended materials for adult students: pencils, rubber, sketchbook/ block of paper, fixative or hairspray , coloured pencils/ pastels, watercolours/gouache.
The courses are suitable for all levels, even complete beginners.
Drawing lessons for children (not running this term)
Similar to many parents, I feel that my children are constantly drawn to the screens with all the associated things related to it .
Drawing encourages in children patience, concentration and perseverance.
It allows them to be creative and to get a sense of achievement and pride in what they have done, and at times, to accept when it doesn't work so well.
Being part of the group teaches them to respond to various visual challenges, to learn from other students' solutions, learn how to give feedback and how to receive one. Finally, they will also develop their drawing and painting skills and learn about various artists and art movements.
Recommended materials: sketchbook, pencils, rubber, coloured pencils or felt tips.
To see some students' work click here.
For times and fees for the adult and children art courses please click here.